Not one told me being an adult was so hard
- Do not forget Michael Brown
- Do not forget how the media dehumanized him and tried to justify his murder
- Do not forget how peaceful protests were painted as savage riots
- Do not forget police armed with military grade weapons terrorized and arrested black civilians
- Do not forget Darren Wilson being awarded over $200,000 in fundraiser donations for murdering an unarmed black child
- Do not forget that this system was not built to defend us, but to control us
- Do not forget Ferguson
Anonymous said: Why do coloured people get so worked up over white people whenever something happens like with wearing stuff from their background and stuff?
I grew up in Saudi Arabia where I dont even remember seeing a white person. I was surrounded by different cultures from all over the world (mainly Asian and Middle Eastern). I didn’t even think anything about my skin color, except that it was just the way I was. I didn’t really think anything of it because it was just a part of me.
When I moved to America when I was 8, all that changed. I then resented my skin color and despised myself for how I looked. I didn’t fit in and I so badly wanted to. When I looked at the other girls their skin were white and to me it looked like having white skin was the only way that I would be happy in America.
I would play with other girls and be self conscious that I was the one that stuck out like a sore thumb in pictures. Can you imagine? A girl so young hating the color she was born with? If you look in my bathroom you will find many skin whitening and bleaching products. All for the purpose of achieving that pale white skin look. I hated being brown when I looked at myself it reminded me that I was the color of dirt. And I was very very jealous of people with skin the color of white because I felt like they were accepted in this country without any struggles.
When I see a white baby, I think they are so young and they don’t even know it yet that their color already holds so much power. When I have children I will have to teach them to be a lot stronger and to give them the mentality that being brown is nothing to be ashamed of.
I feel like tumblr has really helped me in embracing my color in a way that everyone here comes from all over the world. We shouldn’t be ashamed of our darker skin color we should embrace it. Your color just shows that you have culture, traditions, and a background to be proud of. Now I don’t consider having colored skin as a disadvantage or something to look down upon about myself but something to be proud of.
When white people, or anyone in general, take something from our culture to wear as a fashion piece or fashion statement then not only are you degrading that garment but also me. The problem with wearing important pieces from other cultures is that many people wear it without knowing the significance it holds. In Saudi we would attend parties and celebrations and we would wear a sari as a sign of respect; that we are embracing and showing respect for their culture. We would also wear head scarfs and abayas because that was a part of the culture too.
Taking something important from another person’s culture and saying it’s just a fashion piece is not okay because then you are saying that their culture does not mean anything to you nor is it important enough that you would educate yourself first before trying something on.
My take on this, and I know others see it differently, is that if you do not fully understand the significance of the garment and you are not wearing it with full respect for the people and their culture, then don’t wear it at all.
- Me: *Watching Mulan* *Awesome drumbeat starts*
- Me: I will not sing.
- Me: I will not sing.
- Me: I will n- LET'S GET DOWN TO BUSINESS.
- fat women: *gets shit on by peers, media, the fashion industry, products and marketing*
- skinny women: *praised by literally everyone*
- skinny women: *doesn't say shit while fat women are being put down*
- Nicki: fuck skinny bitches
- skinny women: what the FUCK what htE FUCK??? YOU ARE Nt gonna get ANYhwer by shMING ANY body type...we have to LOVE evyer,,,one!!!!1111
- Ya'll be like: I love black girls......with european features
- Ya'll be like: Black girls with afros are amazing...as long as they got light skin.
- Ya'll be like: Black girls are beautiful...but just the ones who are white passin' or as racially ambiguous as possible.
- Ya'll be like: Natural hair is the best hair...as long as the curls are really really loose.